What is a Conservatorship and who would need one?

16 February 2010 Categories: All Blogs, Estate Planning, Family Law and Divorce

In my Estate Planning practice, I am confronted with a mentally handicapped adult who is in need of a competent mind to make decisions on their behalf. In these cases, it is usually necessary that a Conservatorship be granted by the court so that a Conservator can help the disabled person with everyday medical and financial decisions that they would struggle with otherwise. There are many types of adults that would qualify for the need of a Conservatorship and could range from an older adult diagnosed with dimentia to a younger adult who has suffered a brain injury.

Here are a few things to look for when determining if your friend or family member is in need of a Conservator
– Unable to make everyday decisions that you would expect a competent person to make
– Begin missing appointments or other regular activities
– Failing to take medicine that has been prescribed and would benefit them greatly
– Recent failure to pay bills that have always been paid on time in the past
– Notice other family members or friends taking advantage of this person’s current mental state

These are just a few of the warning signs that a Conservatorship may be needed. Remember, a Conservatorship is not permanent and can be revoked once evidence that the Respondent has a clean bill of health from their physician. If you think you know someone who may be in need of a Conservatorship, feel free to contact an attorney at McNulty and Associates and they will be glad to answer any questions you may have.

The information and materials on this site are not to be considered legal advice. They are intended for informational purposes and are not specific to any certain case or legal matter. The information is used for promotional and advertising purposes and seeks to provide, but not guarantee, general information regarding a wide range of legal matters. If your matter requires legal representation, you should act quickly and contact a Tennessee attorney to ensure your rights are protected.

Comments are closed.