FAQ: Traffic Accident: How do I obtain a copy of the police report

24 October 2012 Categories: All Blogs, Car Accident, Personal Injury

We often have people contact our office and ask how to obtain a copy of a police report from an accident they have recently been involved in. These police reports contain important information regarding the accident, and are typically what we review first when a client comes to our office to discuss a personal injury case due to a car accident. If your accident occurred in Davidson County, the police report was probably written by either the Metro Nashville Police Department or the Tennessee Highway Patrol. To obtain a copy of your Metro Nashville Police Department accident report, you can go to their office at the Metropolitan Justice Center, 200 James Robertson Parkway, Nashville, TN 37201. To obtain a copy from the Tennessee Highway Patrol, we have found it is easiest to send a request to the records division on Murfreesboro Road.

Once you have obtained a copy of the accident report, you should look to see if the fault is placed on either driver for the accident. If the fault is placed on the other driver and you were injured, you may have a case and should contact a licensed Tennessee attorney. Even if the police report doesn’t place fault on another driver, and you do not believe you were at fault, you may still have a case, but it is often harder to prove.

Click on our Car Accident page for more information.

1 Response to “FAQ: Traffic Accident: How do I obtain a copy of the police report”