Changing your name in Tennessee

08 June 2011 Categories: All Blogs, Family Law and Divorce

We occasionally get a call from someone who would like to change their name. The process can be handled by Circuit or Chancery Courts, and depends on the county. Davidson County uses the 7th Circuit Court. Individuals can change their name in Tennessee as long as they:

  • Are over the age of 18
  • Have not been convicted of a felony
  • Are not attempting to evade creditors or legal process
  • Are not changing the name for any other unlawful purpose
  • The name change will not adversely affect the rights of any minor children nor require that the children’s names be changed

If you are going through a divorce and would like to change your name back to your maiden name, make sure to ask your attorney to request that in the final decree.

McNulty & Associates would be glad to assist you with your name change. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact our office at

Comments are closed.