Changing Name in Tennessee: Divorce

21 January 2013 Categories: All Blogs, Family Law and Divorce

Many of our clients or spouses want to change their name back to a maiden name during the divorce proceeding. The procedure to do this is fairly straight forward, but it needs to be brought up before the final hearing. In uncontested divorces, we add a line into the Marital Dissolution Agreement stating that the wife would like to change her name, and put what the name is. We then put that change of name request in the Final Divorce Decree for the Court to sign. After everything is signed by the Judge, you can then obtain a certified copy of the divorce from the clerk’s office. A certified copy means the clerk will put a stamp on it to verify the authenticity of the copy. It usually costs about $10. After obtaining the certified copy, you will want to go to a driver’s license station in Tennessee (Click for State Website on Name Change) and get a new license. You will also want to change your name with with the Social Security Office. Name change instructions can be found on there website (Click for SSA Website). If you have any questions or concerns, you should contact your attorney. Remember that if you want to change your name, you need to bring it up before the finalization of the divorce. If you wait until after, you can still change your name, but it may require another petition to be filed and another court date.

Comments are closed.